This vegan-friendly enchilada dish is an excellent choice for family dinners, and is a whole lot of fun to make (get the kids to join in). Rich in fibre, vitamins, and minerals, sweet potatoes taste good and are good for you too. Try making these baked sweet potato enchiladas from Gia's kitchen!
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 x400g tinned black beans, drained
- 2 x375g enchilada sauce
- Optional: shredded cheese
- 10 soft tortillas
- Preheat oven to 180oC (fan-forced).
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Mix sweet potatoes, 1 tbsp water, cumin, smoked paprika and salt in a large bowl and lay them out on the tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until tender and slightly caramelised.
- While sweet potato is baking, add kale to a large frypan with 2 tbsp water. Cover pot and steam for 5 minutes, making sure the kale remains vibrant in colour.
- Mix black beans, ¼ cup enchilada sauce, sweet potato and kale in the large bowl.
- Pour ¹/³ of the remaining enchilada sauce into the bottom of a glass 23 x 33-cm baking dish.
- Place a tortilla in the baking dish, making sure to coat both sides with sauce. Fill it with ¹/³ cup of sweet potato mix, roll it up and lay seam side down at the edge of the dish.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas, adding more sauce as necessary to moisten them.
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas, ensuring all the rolls are covered. If using cheese, sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve with guacamole and sour cream, freshly chopped coriander and chopped jalapeños.