This vegetarian shepherd's pie is hearty and filling, and packed with protein thanks to chickpeas.
Perfect for the entire family on a cold winter's night.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 2 x 400g canned chickpeas
- 5 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 zucchini, grated and excess water removed
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup of Vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 kg white potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp dairy-free butter
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Boil a deep pot with water (enough to cover potatoes).
- Place potatoes in water and boil for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- In another deep pot, heat olive oil over a medium to high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, carrot, mushrooms and chilli. Stir for 5-6 minutes or until cooked through. Add canned chickpeas and lightly heat through.
- Add tomato paste, soy sauce, vegetable stock, Dijon mustard, wholegrain mustard, salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- While this is cooking, drain cooked potatoes and place them into a large bowl. Start mashing!
- In your potato bowl, add dairy-free butter, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly to ensure it's smooth.
- In a deep, oven-safe dish, pour the chickpea mixture in and spread evenly. Add the mash on top and spread edge to edge.
- Sprinkle paprika over the top and place into the oven for 25 minutes or until lightly brown on top. Serve!