According to one of the top natural health websites, Food Matters, “The concept of detoxification, whether it's done with foods or juices, is that you’re allowing your digestive system time to rest and repair while flushing out toxins through the liver, kidneys, lungs and skin.” Basically it’s like a spring clean on the inside.
Toxins are everywhere: in the air we breathe, the foods we eat, the water we drink and the substances we put on our bodies. The process of detoxification is actually happening on a daily basis in our amazing bodies.
However, due to the increasing number of toxins our bodies come into contact with every day, it is more and more difficult to effectively remove these harmful substances. The overload these substances exert on our bodies demands the need for regular, intentional detoxing.
Here are seven indicators that you are due for a detox:
- You have low energy and always feel tired.
- You suffer from digestive problems.
- Your hair and skin are not looking and feeling healthy and vibrant.
- You have some added weight you are carrying even though your diet hasn't significantly changed.
- You suffer from bloating, constipation or congestion.
- You often suffer from foggy-brain or frequent headaches.
- You have noticed an increase in excessive sweating.
Each of these symptoms are signals from your body that things are not functioning as well as they should be, and that it might be time to give your insides a spring clean.
The detox benefit
There are some amazing benefits that you can experience from a detox program, even in just a few days. They include:
- Increased energy levels and vitality.
- Better blood circulation due to the purifying of the liver and kidneys (and therefore, your blood).
- Elimination of stored waste, which often results in weight loss.
- Improved mental alertness.
- Breaking unhealthy food habits and allowing your stomach to reduce to its normal size.
- Breaking your sweet-tooth habit.
- Better digestive processes due to reducing the acidic environment of your gut.
We all know that as soon as we apply any kind of restriction on what we eat, something in us immediately wants to rebel, but trust me, resisting that urge and sticking to a detox plan has great pay-offs!
How to detox safely and naturally
There are many detox programs available online and at health retreats globally, some of which will be highly effective and cost you thousands of dollars. However, it is actually possible to do a simple detox without any supplements or other fancy things by simply cutting out all processed foods, animal products and acidic foods for a minimum of three days.
The simple key to an effective detox is to allow your digestive system to rest by reducing the amount of food you're eating, increasing your water intake and providing your body with heaps of alkalising, plant-based foods that specifically promote elimination of toxins. And in our crazy, polluted, fast-food world, I think we'd all benefit from an internal spring clean!
Who shouldn't do a detox
Although eating and drinking plant-based foods can’t really harm anyone, if you are suffering from diabetes, low or high blood pressure, any heart condition or on medication, you should consult your doctor before proceeding with a detox. Also, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, it’s best to wait until breastfeeding is finished before giving your body and digestive system a detox.
For more information
My free Detox Cheat Sheet gives you some simple information on how to do it yourself.
For a guided and more effective program, my 28-day Unleash Detox System not only provides you with a complete meal plan, but includes exercise and restorative practices for a truly holistic overhaul of your health.
Why not start simply with downloading the free Detox Cheat Sheet and giving it a go yourself? I’d love to hear how you go with it!